Penne a la Norma
Featured in our Italian Recipe Book
- 1 eggplant, finely sliced and quartered
- 1½ Tbsp salt
- 4 Tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 150 g low protein penne pasta
- 5 fresh basil leaves
- ⅓ cup low protein, dairy-free cheese alternative*, shredded
- Salt and pepper
- Place the eggplant quarters in a colander, sprinkle with salt and allow to rest for 30 minutes. Rinse and pat dry.
- Fry the eggplant in the olive oil in 2 batches until soft and golden. Set aside and keep warm.
- Pour the tomato sauce in a saucepan and heat through.
- Meanwhile, cook the low protein penne as per box instructions, drain and reserve some of the cooking water.
- Add the pasta into the heated tomato sauce. If the pasta is a little sticky, loosen it with the reserved cooking water.
- Transfer to a serving platter, spoon over any remaining sauce and place the eggplant on top.
- Shred the basil on top and sprinkle with the low protein cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle with some extra virgin olive oil.
Nutrition Per Serving
Nutrition Per Recipe
*Calories and protein may vary by product. Be sure to check the nutrition label.
For this recipe, low protein pasta is estimated to contain 0.5 g protein, 18 mg phenylalanine, and 5 mg tyrosine per 100 grams (uncooked).